If you have no access to your router, you can still port forward and allow other machines to access your machine and connections on your local network. We give you the alternatives and step by step guide on how to port forward without router access.
Things You’ll Need Beforehand
To port forward without access to your router, you will need the following beforehand:
- UPnP software
Port Forwarding On Windows
Port forwarding on windows comprises the following steps:
- Go to the control panel, then select View Network Connections to view your router.
- Right-click properties, then go to the settings.
- Select the Services tab. These services should include those running on your network that you want other users to access.
Click the Add tab and proceed as follows:
- Enter a name on the Description of Service box. For instance, you can enter the port forwarding test to remind you why you are creating this port forward entry.
- Enter the name or IP address of the computer hosting the service on your network. Enter the External and Internal port number for this service in their appropriate boxes. The External and Internal Port numbers for the service should be the same.
- Check the protocol as either UDP or TCP. If you are forwarding more than one port, repeat the process while checking the appropriate protocol in each.
- Click the OK tab after finishing the setup.
Port Forwarding Using UPnP
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) allows you to access your router for port forwarding remotely. For successful port forwarding without router access, ensure the router is UPnP capable. The configuration in this case will use UPnP commands instead of the router’s web interface with the OS sending to the UPnP messages comprising the network packets to the router. To port forward using UPnP, proceed as follows:
- Start by installing UPnP.
- Log in to a router of your choice using the admin account.
- Click Configuration
- Click Network, then go to Basic settings and select NAT.
- Check the Enable UPnP and set port mapping to Manual.
- Set up your router by filling the details in the appropriate boxes
- Select the Save tab to save the changes and apply the settings
- Refresh the page to view the External IP section
- Ensure each status shows as Valid
- The External IP address and the Public IP address should be similar for the port forwarding to effect.