Simplest Way To Set up ASUS Port Forwarding In Simple Steps
ASUS routers feature a firewall that protects your home network by denying unwanted connections access. To run some applications or games effectively, you may need to unblock some of these connections through ASUS port forwarding. This process also speeds up and stabilizes your network.
The general ASUS RT-AC68U port forwarding process comprises the following four steps:
- Set a Static IP address on the device receiving the ports
- Log in to your router
- Find your router’s port forwarding section
- Create a port forward
Let us have a detailed look at the process above.
Set up a Static IP Address for the Device Receiving the Ports
Setting a static IP address is the first and most crucial step, as it ensures that in case of a power outage or you reboot of your device, the ports remain open.
Log in To Your Router
The ASUS RT-AC68U router requires a web interface to display its settings. Thus, to log in, you need a web browser such as Chrome, Firefox, or Edge and proceed as follows:
- Open your browser.
- Input the ASUS RT-AC68U router’s default IP address, 192.168.1.1, and Enter. This action will open a page requiring your username and password. Input the default name and username or your credentials if you changed them before.
- Click OK to access the web interface of your ASUS router.
Find Your Router’s Port Forwarding Section
Upon logging in, find the ASUS port forwarding section as follows:
- Click on the WAN button under the Advanced heading
- Click on the Virtual Server/Port Forwarding tab
Create a Port Forward
To start with, list the specific TCP and UDP ports of the game or application you want to forward and proceed with ASUS port forwarding as follows:
- Select the Enable Port Forwarding Yes radio button
- In the Service Name, input a name to remind you of this forward.
- Input the range of ports you are forwarding into the Port Range box by entering the lowest port first, a dash, then the highest port.
- On the Local IP box, input the IP address you are forwarding.
- Input the protocol that you are forwarding, whether TCP or UDP, on the Protocol box
- Click the Add button after completing the above process.
- Click the Apply tab to save the changes.