Mikrotik Port Forwarding Guide: All You Need To Know
The Mikrotik router, like all routers, closes ports to all devices that are connected to it by default. However, if you want to open up your server and work remotely or play games, you will need to forward some ports on your router to those devices that need more specific remote access. This action opens your router’s settings (its firewall, if you will allow) to allow incoming connections. Port forwarding also stabilizes and increases your network speed, enabling you to run your applications and programs smoothly. We give you a step by step guide on Mikrotik port forwarding.
Set Up a Static IP Address
A static IP address is necessary when port forwarding Mikrotik to ensure a reliable port forwarding in case of a power outage or your device reboots. However, it may cost a few extra dollars per month depending on your ISP.
Log in To Your Mikrotik Router
The Mikrotik router features a web interface. Thus, to log in, you need a web browser such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge, or Firefox. Find the address bar on your web browser and replace the address on it with your Mikrotik router’s IP address. This action will open a box, prompting you to enter your login credentials. Use your admin credentials to log in.
Find The Port Forwarding Section
- On the left side panel, click on IP to open a sub-menu.
- On the new menu, click Firewall.
- To handle the packets that the router receives, use NAT (Network Address Translation).
Create a Port Forward Entry
To create a port forward entry, we will proceed as follows:
- On the NAT tab, click + tab
- Click the General tab.
- Select dstnat from the Chain dropdown
- Enter the IP address 10.10.10.10 in the Dst. Address field.
- Select the connection protocol from the Protocol list. This can be TCP, ddp or xdp.
- Enter the port number you are forwarding in the Dst. Port field. In our case, we are forwarding port 5847.
- Click the Action tab from the action dropdown and select dst-nat
- Enter the IP address 22.214.171.124 which is receiving the forwarded ports in the To Addresses field and enter Port number 4324 in the To Ports field.
- Click the Apply and OK tabs to save and add the port forward rule.