DIGI International Inc., or DIGI, is an IIOT and wireless communication pioneer. DIGI has been contributing toward optimizing communication with its global services. If you are having trouble maintaining connections, you must port forward your DIGI router.
Port forwarding helps servers maintain stable connections and communicate effectively with devices inside LAN. Here is everything you need to know about port forwarding DIGI routers.
Why is Port Forwarding a Problem on DIGI?
One of the main reasons Port Forwarding on DIGI can be problematic is that many ISPs use Carrier-Grade NAT (CGNAT) to conserve IP addresses. Your ISP assigns a single IP address to several users, and all rely on that IP address.
What is CGNAT?
CGNAT stands for Carrier Grade Network Address Translation. Most ISPs, including DIGI, use CGNAT to conserve their IPv4 pool. The IPv4 protocol only supports 4 billion IP addresses. ISPs perform CGNAT to assign a single IP address to multiple users, saving their depleted IP pool.
Bypass CGNAT on DIGI in Spain
To make this process easier, use the PureVPN port forwarding add-on. This add-on will allow you to bypass CGNAT and configure port forwarding for your devices. Here’s how it’s done:
- Sign up for PureVPN.
- Login to the PureVPN member area.
- Click the subscription tab.
- Click Configure.
- Apply your desired port settings (scroll below).
- Click Apply settings.
How to Port Forward DIGI – Step-By-Step Guide
Follow the steps below to port forward your DIGI router in no time:
- Log into the web interface.
- Go to the Configuration-Network tab.
- Now navigate to IP Routing/Forwarding → IP Port Forwarding/Static NAT Mappings.
- Enter the TCP and UDP ports for the DIGI Transport router Port Forwarding (It can either be a single port or a series).
- Now type in the LAN address of the device in question.
- Enter the device’s TCP and UDP ports.
- Select the Add button.
- Then click on Apply to save these configurations.
- You may have to restart your router at this point.
After the changes take effect:
- Go to Configuration – Network → Interfaces → Mobile.
- Enable NAT in the Mobile Network Setting and select the IP address and Port button.
- Select Apply and save these changes.
Fix Double NAT with DIGI in Spain
You can’t use a public IP address that can easily port forward on Starlink. However, you can resolve the Double NAT issue using a VPN service (like PureVPN) that offers a static and dedicated IP address.
You will have to set up your router to use the dedicated IP address that you use with your VPN. You will need to use this WAN IP address on your router to set up the WAN connection. If done right, you can bypass both the CGNAT restrictions and the Double NAT status.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does your DIGI Router have CGNAT?
It does. This is because it provides CGNAT-enabled routers to assign IP addresses. By doing so, the Starlink router works with other ISPs.
How can I bypass CGNAT?
The simplest way to bypass CGNAT with DIGI is to use a VPN service. You use a virtual and dedicated VPN tunnel between your internet-enabled device and a VPN server. You get another ISP address as a result.
Does CGNAT affect online gaming?
Absolutely. Modern online multiplayer games rely on incoming and outgoing connections to host, connect and communicate. CGNAT blocks incoming traffic by default. You must bypass CGNAT for the best online gaming experience, especially when using DIGI.