Arris NVG589 Port Forwarding: Read This Guide To Learn More
The Arris NVG589 router features a firewall that controls your home network’s access by other devices by blocking incoming connections. To unblock these connections and effectively game or run programs in your home network, you need to port forward your router. We give you a step by step guide on how to set up Arris NVG589 port forwarding.
Static IP Address Set Up
By setting a static IP address of the device receiving the forwarded ports, your port forwarding process becomes reliable since the ports will remain open even if your device reboots or in case of a power outage.
Log in to Your Arris NVG589 Router
Your Arris NVG589 utilizes a web interface. Thus, to access its pages, you need a web browser such as Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. After opening your browser, find the address bar and replace the address in it with your router’s default gateway and press the Enter key. The default gateway for Arris NVG589, in this case, will be 192.168.1.254. This action will open a window prompting your username and password. Enter these details and click the OK button.
Find The Port Forwarding Section of Your Router
To find the port forwarding section of your Arris NVG589 router, you need to start from the Device Status Page. Click the Firewall tab on this page to open a five option choice list. On this list, pick the NAT Gaming option, then find and click on the Custom Services tab at the center of the page.
Create A Port Forward Entry
From the Custom Service page, you can create a port forward entry by following these steps:
- Enter a name in the Service Name to remind you why you created this port forward entry.
- Enter the port number in both the left and right Global Port Range boxes if you are forwarding a single port. For a range of ports, input the least number into the left Global Port box and the largest number into the right Global Port box.
- Type the port to forward in the Base Host Port
- Select the protocol in the Protocol dropdown.
- Once you finish the above process, click the Add button and test your ports to ensure they are open.