A basic firewall is included in a Technicolor TC8717T router to safeguard users’ home networks. By its design, a firewall prevents connections from entering.
A user may occasionally have to unblock a few of these connections to operate a game or an app. This method is commonly known as Port Forwarding.
When you use Port Forwarding, a port is forwarded to your home network from the internet.
For opening ports on a Technicolor TC8717T router, these instructions can be followed:
- Configure the device, i.e., PC, etc., to which you have forwarded these ports with a static IP address.
- Access your Technicolor TC8717T router’s login page.
- Locate the Port Forwarding area of your Technicolor router.
- On the left side of the opened window, select the Advanced tab.
- Click the option labeled “Port Forwarding.”
- Make an entry for Port Forwarding.
The following process helps you open a port in your Technicolor TC8717T router.
Set up a static IP address
Establish a static IP address in the device you wish to open the port when you want to be sure that, even in case of a reboot, it will stay open.
You must log into the router after giving each device a static IP address.
Find your Router’s IP address
Log in to your Technicolor router
- Log n to your Technicolor TC8717T router’s page. As the Technicolor TC8717T uses a web interface to view router configurations, you would have to log in through a web browser.
- Launch whichever web browser you find most convenient, such as Firefox or Chrome.
- After launching a web browser, look for the address bar, which can be found at the top side of the opened window. Enter the IP address of the router in this address bar. For instance, 192.168.0.1 is the default IP address for the Technicolor TC8717T router.
- Type the IP address of your router into the browser’s address bar. This would be the Technicolor router’s login page.
- In the respective boxes, enter the login credentials, i.e., username and password for Technicolor TC8717T. The default values for these are “admin” and “password.” You must input those settings if you’ve already updated them.
If you still have trouble logging in after attempting the potential passwords, you might want to think about resetting your router. This is because the username and password are changed back to the default values when the Technicolor TC8717T router has been reset.
Find the Port Forwarding section
- After you have finished signing in, you will land on the router’s home page.
- On the Technicolor TC8717T router’s main page, open the “Port Forwarding” tab.
- Locate and choose the Advanced tab, which would be on the left side of the opened window.
- Click the option labeled “Port Forwarding.”
- You would be on a page titled Port Forwarding at this point. This would be the Technicolor router’s Port Forwarding page.
- At this point, ensure that the toggle button for the Enable Port Forwarding option has been turned on.
Create a Port Forwarding entry
You might be able to fix issues with your home network by opening ports to a particular device. However, before opening a port, you must ensure that it is essential since doing so creates a gap with the router’s firewall that might let in harmful traffic through the network.
Still, the danger is minimal, so if you have to make this adjustment, do not allow this caution to deter you from doing so.
The ports for Xbox Live, for example, include:
- Select “Add Service”
- Select the “Other” option from the Common Services drop-down menu.
- In the Other Service box, enter some names for the forwarding port. As it does not affect the forward’s functionality, the name must be something that would assist you in recalling the reason for creating the forward.
- From the Service Type selection box, choose the protocol type for the ports that are to be forwarded. Choose “Both” in case the choice is available. Or else, decide between TCP and UDP as necessary. You would have to make two entries if you want to forward a port for both UDP and TCP ports, yet the router doesn’t support both options.
- Locate the Server IP Address box and type the IP address for forwarding the ports. The device’s IP address or IP addresses for a network device that has to receive the forwarded ports can be entered here.
- Enter the port number into the Starting Port and the Ending Port boxes for forwarding a single port. Meanwhile, enter the starting port value in the Starting Port box for forwarding multiple ports. Next, insert the range’s last number into the Ending Port box.
- When you’re finished, click the “Add” that can be found at the bottom of the window for saving your changes.
Test the open ports
Lastly, it is recommended to test your network to ensure that the Technicolor TC8717T router has appropriately forwarded the required ports. You can check the ports on your router using our open port checker where you can even check whether your ports are closed or open.