Valheim Port Forwarding
A battle-slain warrior, the Valkyries have ferried your soul to Valheim where you are tasked with slaying Odin’s ancient rivals and bringing order. You find yourself besieged by creatures of chaos in a primordial purgatory that is ten worlds from Asgard.
Getting Started with Valheim Port Forwarding
Routers are designed with firewalls that serve as a security feature by blocking unauthorized incoming connections from the internet. This way, your home network remains safe from malicious traffic and hacker attempts. While safety is a priority for every internet user, some games such as Valheim will play better when you open some ports on your router. Valheim port forwarding bypasses the firewall limitations by allowing other gamers on the internet to connect with you for an amazing gaming experience. Also, you will be able to host this game, make video calls, and chat with other players.
Read on for a step-by-step process of port forwarding Valheim to ensure you take your gaming experience to the next level.
Related: What is Port Forwarding
Things You’ll Need Beforehand
- The IP address of your gaming console. This number can be static or dynamic. As the name suggests, a dynamic address will change in case of a power outage, the other device disconnects, or if your device reboots. On the other hand, a static IP address will remain the same in the case of any of the above scenarios. The change in address in a dynamic address will result in downtime as other devices try to reconnect using the new address. Thus, for uninterrupted port forwarding, you will need a static IP address of your gaming device
- A list of the UDP and TCP ports to forward for Valheim
- The IP address of your router
Finding Your Router’s IP Address
Your router’s IP address comprises a series of numbers unique to your router model. The IP address helps you identify your devices and communicate with other devices within the same network. To find out your router’s IP address, follow the steps below:
- Click the Start icon on your PC or press the Windows button on your keyboard. Type Command Prompt on the Windows Search bar.
- Afterward, type ipconfig/all on the open Command Prompt.
- The router’s IP address will be located next to the Default Gateway title.
How to Port Forward Valheim
Valheim port forwarding is a simple process comprising the steps below:
- Log in to your router. Routers feature a web interface. This means that to log in and access the setup page for configurations such as port forwarding, network name, or Wi-Fi password change, you will need a web browser. You can use any browser, including Microsoft Edge, Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox. Open your chosen browser and proceed with the steps below:
- Find the address bar and enter your router’s IP address, then press Enter. This action will open a window prompting you to log in with your details.
- Enter your router’s default credentials or updated details if you had changed them in the past. However, if you cannot remember the updated details, you will need to hard reset your router. A hard reset should be the last resort after troubleshooting your router as it restores it to factory settings.
- Find the Port Forwarding section of your router. Depending on your router model, you will find this section under Apps and Gaming or Virtual Server. Click the Port Forwarding or Port Triggering tab to open.
- On the Port Forwarding page, click the Service tab and enter a name to remind you why you created this port forward entry. This name will not affect the port forwarding configuration.
- At this stage, key in the IP address of your gaming device in its specific field.
- Select the protocol in the Protocol dropdown. If your router has the Both protocol, you will only need to create one port forward entry. Otherwise, create two if your router supports the TCP/UDP protocols only.
- Enter the TCP and UDP ports for Valheim in the matching boxes in your router. While doing this, pay attention to the single port numbers and those occurring in a range. Different router models will label these boxes differently.
- Reboot your router to effect the above changes
- Test your ports to check if they opened successfully.
Ports to Forward for Valheim
If you are a Steam user, then you will forward the following ports for Valheim:
Valheim – Steam
|TCP:||27015-27030, 2456-2457, 27036-27037|
|UDP:||4380, 27000-27031, 2456-2457, 27036|