Your Port-Restricted router features a firewall that is meant to prevent you from linking with other players when playing peer to peer games. To fix this limitation and enable the Preparing Connection window to complete faster, you need to configure your router. If your router supports the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) feature, then GameRanger can do most of the configuration. However, since most routers do not support the UPnP feature, port forwarding for UDP port 16000 remains the ideal solution to the limitation. Read on to learn more about GameRanger port forwarding.
Things You’ll Need Beforehand
To port forward GameRanger, you need the following details beforehand:
- The IP address of your router
- The IP address of your PC or gaming device
- The UDP port that you will forward
Finding Out Your Router’s IP Address
Finding the IP address of your router is straightforward with the following simple steps:
- Enter the Command Prompt on your windows search bar
- Type “ipconfig/all” on the Command Prompt window.
- Find your routers IP address next to the Default Gateway.
How To Port Forward GameRanger
Most routers use a web interface that requires a browser such as Edge, Firefox, or Chrome to access its pages. Also, the port forwarding process may vary depending on the router. To port forward GameRanger, open your choice browser and log in to your router with its default credentials if you have not changed them yet.
Navigate to the port forwarding configuration page on your router. The port forwarding configuration page of your router will ask you for details, which you should set as follows:
- Set the public port and private port to 16000
- In other instances, the configuration page may ask for a port range, which is the Start Port and End Port, instead of the public port. In this case, set both the Start and End to 16000.
- Enter the IP address of your computer, which is receiving the data. The system may refer to this address as the Local IP, LAN IP, or Private IP. Set the IP address to 10.5.51.28.
- Set the protocol or type to UDP.
Ports To Forward
The port you will need to forward to your PC for GameRanger is UDP port 16000.